Get ready for the holidays
The festive season is also storm and cyclone season in Queensland. So simply ask, what’s your plan for the holidays?
What would happen if your home is empty over the holidays?
- Get up to date with your home maintenance. Clear the gutters, trim overhanging branches and secure loose objects.
- Chat to your neighbours about keeping an eye on your property while you’re away and leave them your contact details.
- Take your insurance details and contact your provider if emergency repairs are needed.
What should you do if you are heading out of town this holiday season?
- Research the disaster risks and local disaster plans for the region you’re holidaying in. Check the area’s local council website for more information.
- Bring prescriptions for your essential medications, glasses and information about medical aids.
- Discuss the local emergency plans with your family in case of a natural disaster.
What should you do if you’re staying home for the holidays?
- Take the time to prepare a simple plan and emergency kit for the coming year.
- Check the batteries in your smoke alarms, torches and radios.
- Keep up to date with the latest weather forecasts on your local radio and television stations.
What should you do if your holiday has you driving through flood prone areas?
- Prepare to stay safe, check the flood risk of your route.
- Never drive through floodwaters, no matter how shallow or slow moving.
- If you are travelling in an unfamiliar area, seek out and pay close attention to advice from locals.